Skip to main content

How Do You See It?

I've been catching up today on blogs reading my followers and yours.  Blogger is going crazy again and it wouldn't let me comment on some while it did on others. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I have no idea! 

I came across a sweet little blog and if you read it, please let me know who to credit. Obviously the blogger is a teacher and she tells the story of a little boy who liked worms and how everyday he searched for worms on the playground. There was the sweetest little picture of a little, dirty hand full of worms. The photo is what captured my attention. The quote is what kept me there,  "It's not always what we have, but how we see what we have that makes the greatest impact."
It may have looked like worms, but to this little boy it was a fist full of adventure. 

I am still considering the quote. We often compare ourselves to ourselves and hope next time to be better. As aging women, we compare our bodies and skin to that of a younger woman we once knew. A young mother compares herself to a pre-baby version of herself. Then we look at our homes, cars, relationships and yet again, we long for something else. Facebook paints a pretty picture.   A vicious cycle repeats itself in every phase of our lives when we calculate and compare. 

I tell the story of the night before Christmas Eve when I lost my car at Opry Mills. Ahh, my perfect family with babies in tow. Smiles for the camera...click...Let's get another one...click...where are the girls???...click...you said you were watching them...click.click.click. And all the precious pictures on Facebook didn't tell the real story. I'll share the whole truth another time. To say it didn't end well, is an understatement.  To be honest, it was a night from hell. 

I wanted to have my perfect family together, all doing the same thing, walking and laughing and enjoying, "in the air there's a feeling of Christmas. Children laughing (crying), people passing (shoving), meeting smile after smile (gritted teeth and a scowl)"...I'm sure there's a song out there like this. 

I think you get it. 

Looking back at what was a night from the pits turned out to be an object lesson to little eyes and ears. An opportunity to say, "You know how you and your brother don't always say kind words to each other? We'll, sometimes Grandy and BonBon don't either. I'm sorry. Will you forgive me?"

A realization that the small things are really big things and the big things are really small things. A ride around the neighborhood to see the lights and a visit to McDonald's would have been a big adventure for the little ones. The result would have been happier moms and dads and grandparents. 

I didn't see then what I see now. I wanted a big night at the circus and they would have been happy with the cotton candy. 

Today, I received several sweet comments on my tree on Facebook. It's simple and it's me. It's not magazine or Blog-award worthy but it makes me smile. While in the past I have tried to keep up with everyone else who has a tree in every room with a theme for each one, in this moment I see what I have. 

We no longer own a home, but we rent a nice place in a quiet neighborhood and we have the best landlords. While Mr. H is quiet and phlegmatic and non-confrontational (which sometimes drives me crazy), he is the most gentle, caring, consistent person I've ever known. While I miss my babies terribly, I rest in the calmness and assurance that we are exactly where we are supposed to be. 






Yes, I'm still searching for knobs to fit my mama's buffet to replace the ones we lost 10 months ago in the move, but I don't see an unfinished piece of furniture. I see Sunday dinner with pot roast, real creamed potatoes and gravy, brown and serve rolls, butter beans or white acre peas, corn and tomatoes and Sunday night burgers with family, Sunday School socials, and a house full of children or teenagers. 

How do you see what you have? Please share. 

Bonnie



Comments

  1. I am off to work soon, and I realized I have not emailed you yet. So much going on here, Bonnie, so please forgive me. I am pretty lucky (well, that is not the word I want to use)--in regards to life etc. I hope you have a beautiful day, friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tree is beautiful! I feel blessed with what I have and my family, near and far! I love the buffet, even with the knobs missing! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a lot of wisdom in this post. I think I've gotten a little wiser as the years go by and have learned to realize that a lot of times, the little things are the big things!
    I love your buffet and the trees. I have a sign with that same verse on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, you may be talking about 'A Spirit of Simplicity, ' and I remember the photo of the little boy with the worms in his hands. She takes wonderful pictures, and I was just over there reading her latest post. Her blog is filled with simplicity and beauty. I'm not sure that's the blog you were referring to, but thought I'd let you know. : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spring into Spring

Anyone else ready to Spring Forward?  Oh my goodness! Just enough nip in the air to feel like an early Spring day. The trees around Georgia are beginning to bud. I've missed my babies so much the past couple of weeks but this afternoon  I feel a little lighter.  It will be Easter weekend before I get to Nashville but I found this sweet little idea to make with the kids. We can go on a scavenger hunt and each Grand can create their own unique design.  I've not done much in my booth for Spring. I had a yard sale and this is how the carport still looks. I may have made $40. Ugh. It was cloudy day so, oh well. I'll price it all and put it in the booth this weekend.  The littles are doing ok. Our youngest GRAND girl, Claire has to wear a patch for a weak eye.  I think she's gonna be fine. She certainly daddy's girl.  She was excited about going to his office.  Our oldest GRAND girl, Cora, made the All-star team in basketball. She's a natural.  She loves to FaceTime! 

Growing, Going, Gone

Do you ever consider how fast your children grew up? At the time, it seemed that the sleepless nights would last forever and the terrible twos would stay terrible forever, the pre- teens awkwardness and the teenage defiance would never end. And then they turn 16, you give them the keys and they speed off into the world...gone.   I expected that, somewhat, and I even learned to release my children as they grew. What I didn't expect was for the grandkids to go so fast.  2014 our miracle baby arrives. Our Christmas gift from above.  We enjoy the other two for our last Christmas in GA before moving to Tennessee.  2015 we enjoy our first Christmas after moving to Nashville in May.  2016 and we enjoy our first Christmas in our new house.  2017 the last Christmas the three will be the littles.  2018 new babies. 2019 the year before Covid and the last Christmas in our new home.  2020 the Covid Christmas gathering almost didn't happen. The kids considered not getting together. We were g

God Said Move

In The Summer of last year, I began to feel a restlessness in my spirit. I sensed that things were about to change.  One night in October, I had closed my eyes and was not asleep when I saw in my spirit a sign in the front yard. It was a red, white and blue sign like a Remax Realty sign. I heard the word, "Move." I knew it was the Holy Spirit speaking to me.  David had been unhappy living in the big city. He spent most of his time on the highways and interstates around Middle TN. He traveled anywhere from 375-500 miles a day. He talked of moving back home, and I always resisted. So, I said, "Okay, Lord. I'm not sure what this means. If it's means we will actually move, I'm willing. If it means, you're moving me spiritually, I'm ready.  The very next day, David said, "I need you to pray about something." I knew what he was going to say and I told him about my dream. He had a job offer. The market was a seller's market. Within a few weeks,