Skip to main content

Small Town USA Resurrected

 

Today is the first outing of the season in Small Town, USA, Tennille, Georgia. When I was a child, Tennille was a thriving railroad town with a passenger train, the Nancy Hank. I remember taking a trip to Gordon on the train when I was in the 3rd grade. The Nancy Hank was a means of transportation to the big town of Macon, Georgia. On the weekends, I rode my bike to town to buy penny candy at the Tennille Food Center and an ice cream cone from Hartley's 5 and 10.  Big business pushed mom and pop right out the door along with penny candy, 3 family-owned grocery stores, two five and dime, 2 home-owned and operated hardware stores, two gas stations and two small department stores. In the 70's the Cotton Mill closed, the Passenger train was no longer in operation and Tennille became somewhat of a ghost town. 

Tennille, Ga is the highest point on the Central of Georgia Railroad between Macon and Savannah. Incorporated in 1875, the city was named for a former citizen, Mr. Francis Tennille. Before that it was named for the railroad station, Station No. 13. A new consignment/antique shop has been added, The Shoppes at Station 13.
 A few years ago, several new consignment shops opened and there were some signs of life. Once again the economy went south and only one business remained. However, a few people in the town refused to give up and fought hard to refurbish the store fronts and resurrect the city. 
I came home in January to find a small town that I loved, growing and thriving.  We now have a burger joint, called Smashed with the best burger in town.  One of my favorite appetizers is the Philly Steak and Cheese Egg Roll.  Yummy!  There is now a cute little, bee-bop 50's style ice cream shop that serves hot dogs and sandwiches.  The Trackside Pub has weekend live music and the menu is salads, sandwiches, pizza and the like.  The square now houses, a beauty salon, a gift shop, consignment shops and places to eat.  The local railroad still goes through the town transporting Kaolin from one place to another. The depot has been remodeled and a platform built for special events.  The little storefront is full of life.  At lunch today, I went to pick up a few things and couldn't find a parking spot.  What a nice problem to have.  





















Comments

  1. I love this post, thanks Bonnie. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear of a thriving area. Looks like a great place to shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A small town feeling is wonderful. Love hearing about this and it made me smile. Fun Christmas shopping in a small town. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A town with a railroad and train is so charming. Every town I've lived in I could hear the train. I don't hear the train any more in the mountains, but there are so many other wonderful things of nature I enjoy........like the SNOW! This shop is so charming, Bonnie. I wish I could browse it there with you. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spring into Spring

Anyone else ready to Spring Forward?  Oh my goodness! Just enough nip in the air to feel like an early Spring day. The trees around Georgia are beginning to bud. I've missed my babies so much the past couple of weeks but this afternoon  I feel a little lighter.  It will be Easter weekend before I get to Nashville but I found this sweet little idea to make with the kids. We can go on a scavenger hunt and each Grand can create their own unique design.  I've not done much in my booth for Spring. I had a yard sale and this is how the carport still looks. I may have made $40. Ugh. It was cloudy day so, oh well. I'll price it all and put it in the booth this weekend.  The littles are doing ok. Our youngest GRAND girl, Claire has to wear a patch for a weak eye.  I think she's gonna be fine. She certainly daddy's girl.  She was excited about going to his office.  Our oldest GRAND girl, Cora, made the All-star team in basketball. She's a natural.  She loves to FaceTime! 

Growing, Going, Gone

Do you ever consider how fast your children grew up? At the time, it seemed that the sleepless nights would last forever and the terrible twos would stay terrible forever, the pre- teens awkwardness and the teenage defiance would never end. And then they turn 16, you give them the keys and they speed off into the world...gone.   I expected that, somewhat, and I even learned to release my children as they grew. What I didn't expect was for the grandkids to go so fast.  2014 our miracle baby arrives. Our Christmas gift from above.  We enjoy the other two for our last Christmas in GA before moving to Tennessee.  2015 we enjoy our first Christmas after moving to Nashville in May.  2016 and we enjoy our first Christmas in our new house.  2017 the last Christmas the three will be the littles.  2018 new babies. 2019 the year before Covid and the last Christmas in our new home.  2020 the Covid Christmas gathering almost didn't happen. The kids considered not getting together. We were g

God Said Move

In The Summer of last year, I began to feel a restlessness in my spirit. I sensed that things were about to change.  One night in October, I had closed my eyes and was not asleep when I saw in my spirit a sign in the front yard. It was a red, white and blue sign like a Remax Realty sign. I heard the word, "Move." I knew it was the Holy Spirit speaking to me.  David had been unhappy living in the big city. He spent most of his time on the highways and interstates around Middle TN. He traveled anywhere from 375-500 miles a day. He talked of moving back home, and I always resisted. So, I said, "Okay, Lord. I'm not sure what this means. If it's means we will actually move, I'm willing. If it means, you're moving me spiritually, I'm ready.  The very next day, David said, "I need you to pray about something." I knew what he was going to say and I told him about my dream. He had a job offer. The market was a seller's market. Within a few weeks,