Skip to main content

Cozy Miniminalist...or Not!

I promised to write about Finding Home, the book that is yet to be written.
It's a process...it's called life.

My life...my home is made up of stuff, both literally and figuratively...
Well, let's just say because I like stuff and I'm a little crazy, 
I want a blog that includes both my crazy and my stuff.  
Am I making sense?  If not, follow along. 

I actually found a way to start a blog and make money while doing it!  
This is "crazy lady in the basement talking" now.
That's what my friend, Amanda calls her other self.

The Blog is called It's a Lovely Life by Heather Delany Reese.
 Today, I want to try it.  I'm so tired of Blogspot. 
 Google has both of my blogs together, but they have a different domain. 
The Upside of Down is not even out there.  
Today I tried to post this blog to Facebook,
and it indicates that someone may have stolen this domain.

I'd have to start completely over...again.
And haven't I already done that...again and again?
And won't I probably do it...again and again and again?

Today, I'm thinking about it.  The Home...Life...Stuff...
Crazy and Sane.  

That's me anyway. So here goes. 

I'm reading Cozy Minimalist Home by Myquillyn Smith.

I'm randomly taking notes and trying to apply it to my home/my life.  
I love, love the book.
I'm just not sure I am a
#cozyminimalist.
Are you?

To begin, I have taken off all the photos on my great wall of fame.
A clock remains and two pieces of art that I seriously don't want to take down
 because I refuse to putty the big holes that they left.
I'll add back the photos later. 
Well, maybe later when I actually have the putty on hand and 
I get my mom's buffet painted to go in this space.
Then, there's the issue of the couch.  




I'm singing, 
"Don't judge me yet, there's an unfinished part."
but the part(s) may be all over the place.

In the book, Myguillyn asked the readers, 
"Think of a word that you want people to feel when they enter your home."

I want my friends and family to feel

welcomed...

comfortable..

grace-no judgement. 

I don't want my home to feel...

 stuffy.  

I want home to be a place where people can come in and take their shoes off,
not because I'm afraid they'll mess up the carpet (it's already stained),
but because they feel at home. 

I've adopted the saying for the parents of my grandchildren, 
"it's just water", because even when it's not "just water," it's really all "just water."
Because they are the most important little beings in the world and everything else is just water!


I would, however, like to rid my home of clutter.
The pile that hides in a corner of the garage that is not useful or may be useful...
one day.
You know, that may or may not come. 
Myquillan asked, 
"Do you have a 'just in case' style?"

YES, I do!

One of her points is to de-clutter. 
I've had an obsession with milk glass for some time. 
Over the past few years, my hobby to collect turned into obsession
and the obsession turned into excess.
I've decided to keep out only the pieces that make me smile,
and box away the rest so my children can walk away with $100 each
after I'm gone and the debts are settled. LOL!


She says, "I love pillows, but not when removing pillows feels like a bedtime ritual."

I love pillows, but not when family has to move them 
to sit down. 
So here you go...



So, I'm junking around here.  Oops!  I said "junking around."
I meant "jumping around."
Both, I guess.


So, have I bought into the idea of being a minimalist?
The verdict is still out.

How about you?




Comments

  1. Hello, my friend!
    I am a minimalist. Or I have become one as I have aged!
    When we moved last year, I really became aware of how much STUFF we had.
    And I was ashamed!
    Now, my mind is at ease because our home has less. Less stuff.
    Hugs from cold PA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you already know how I feel about this. I like my stuff too and I like my “clutter” organized. 😉 I want people to feel at home when they enter my home and also see something olden that may just stir up a few sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m not a total minimalist. I do like to hang on to some stuff that has great meaning to me but am thankful that moving forced me to deal with all that I didn’t really need! Wasn’t easy but so freeing.
    Btw, I know I’d feel ‘kick off my shoes’ comfortable in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No minimalist here! I’m miles away from that! My motto is ‘More is always better!’
    We are trying to clean up outside in the back where Sanford and Son has lived fore more years than I can believe.
    My word for home would be cozy. Warm and cozy if I can have two words! See? I’m not even a minimalist with words either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not completely on board with being a minimalist though I am one who has no problem purging when the time is needed and that time has come over the last two years.
    I enjoy my home and the beautiful things God has allowed me to have and enjoy, but I have been handing down some of my treasures to my two daughters. I want them to enjoy them while I'm still alive. :)
    Enjoyed your posting ♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, I do like minimal décor around the house, but I also like the special treasures that we have also, as it says a little about us. I don't like a lot of clutter, and have been going through stuff and giving away. You see homes where there is really no décor at all, and that is too bare for me, so I guess I'm in between. I'd like to see your milk glass sometime - milk glass is pretty. It's good that you are de-cluttering. It gives us a good feeling after.

    Happy March days!

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spring into Spring

Anyone else ready to Spring Forward?  Oh my goodness! Just enough nip in the air to feel like an early Spring day. The trees around Georgia are beginning to bud. I've missed my babies so much the past couple of weeks but this afternoon  I feel a little lighter.  It will be Easter weekend before I get to Nashville but I found this sweet little idea to make with the kids. We can go on a scavenger hunt and each Grand can create their own unique design.  I've not done much in my booth for Spring. I had a yard sale and this is how the carport still looks. I may have made $40. Ugh. It was cloudy day so, oh well. I'll price it all and put it in the booth this weekend.  The littles are doing ok. Our youngest GRAND girl, Claire has to wear a patch for a weak eye.  I think she's gonna be fine. She certainly daddy's girl.  She was excited about going to his office.  Our oldest GRAND girl, Cora, made the All-star team in basketball. She's a natural.  She loves to FaceTime! 

God Said Move

In The Summer of last year, I began to feel a restlessness in my spirit. I sensed that things were about to change.  One night in October, I had closed my eyes and was not asleep when I saw in my spirit a sign in the front yard. It was a red, white and blue sign like a Remax Realty sign. I heard the word, "Move." I knew it was the Holy Spirit speaking to me.  David had been unhappy living in the big city. He spent most of his time on the highways and interstates around Middle TN. He traveled anywhere from 375-500 miles a day. He talked of moving back home, and I always resisted. So, I said, "Okay, Lord. I'm not sure what this means. If it's means we will actually move, I'm willing. If it means, you're moving me spiritually, I'm ready.  The very next day, David said, "I need you to pray about something." I knew what he was going to say and I told him about my dream. He had a job offer. The market was a seller's market. Within a few weeks,

Growing, Going, Gone

Do you ever consider how fast your children grew up? At the time, it seemed that the sleepless nights would last forever and the terrible twos would stay terrible forever, the pre- teens awkwardness and the teenage defiance would never end. And then they turn 16, you give them the keys and they speed off into the world...gone.   I expected that, somewhat, and I even learned to release my children as they grew. What I didn't expect was for the grandkids to go so fast.  2014 our miracle baby arrives. Our Christmas gift from above.  We enjoy the other two for our last Christmas in GA before moving to Tennessee.  2015 we enjoy our first Christmas after moving to Nashville in May.  2016 and we enjoy our first Christmas in our new house.  2017 the last Christmas the three will be the littles.  2018 new babies. 2019 the year before Covid and the last Christmas in our new home.  2020 the Covid Christmas gathering almost didn't happen. The kids considered not getting together. We were g