Skip to main content

Beginning Sugar-Fast

I can't believe it's been 8 months!
 I got lost in the land of the living.

I have a new job, actually two jobs, 
(I'll talk about later!)
one full-time, one part-time
as well as being on call to babysit.

I would say I am, have been, will be for awhile
 Beyond Busy!

There's too much to catch up on in one post
so look for many things to follow...
hopefully sooner than later. 

As you can see, the babies are growing up.

Today Mr. H and I took a much needed day for ourselves. 
In our almost 5 years in Nashville, 
we have been downtown to eat, two times. 
Today was one of them. 


We ate from the buffet at Puckett's 
which had an hour-wait. 
It was worth it
and yummy
and NO CARBS. 


My reason to start blogging again, 
is for accountability.

Right now, we are in-between churches or 
maybe I should say, 
In-between the in-between of life. 

I started keto-eating in January, 
after reaching a peak weight that I never want to see again!
I was carrying much more weight
than my body or heart could manage.
Playing with the grands felt like an all-day-work-out.

A week after I started this new-way-of -living lifestyle (not a diet!)
I was introduced to the book, 
The 40-day
Sugar Fast
Where Physical Detox Meets Spiritual Transformation.


A week into Keto, I felt depleted, depressed, anxious, fearful. 
I was trying to do it on my own, when I discovered the book.

The 5th day, I was hit hard!
I realized I couldn't do it alone.  
I spent the night in my bedroom with my ear pods in
and my praise music on!
I was depressed and oppressed!

I can not take credit for the writings in italics, 
nor can I take credit for the writings on my heart. 

The Holy Spirit had been tapping on my heart's door for several 
months about my need to take care of His temple,
and I ignored His promptings.  

I made myself vulnerable and posted a picture of myself on Facebook
and I began the journey. 


Wendy Speake writes, 
"My sugar tooth was dictating my thoughts and days.  On top of that, the constant neck pain and stomachaches plagued me.  I was gaining weight, my muscles and joints were always hurting, my sleep was fitful and my emotions were a wreck.  I was grumpy, tired, and impatient with my kids and my husband.  Sadly, sugar wasn't making me sweet.  I didn't need any more conviction, what I needed was transformation.  I needed more than another diet; I needed something deep within to change."

Wendy had me at all of the above. 

The question was asked,
"If you had to give up sugar-for the rest of your life-
would you do it?"

I knew the answer to that question, 
No, I couldn't!  Not without help!

Another question that I needed to answer, 
"What do you turn to instead of Him?"

Take an honest look at where you are and where God is in relation to you.  He is not a far-off God; He hasn't gone anywhere, but it's possible that you have.  It may be that instead of running to Him to fill you, you have been running to the pantry.  perhaps, instead of opening up your Bible, you've been opening up your smartphone and scrolling through social media.  It's not sugar, but it's another filler.

Okay, here is where I get real with you. 

Most of you know that I have a diagnosis of Bipolar Depression. 
I've been treated with medication for 10 years. 
That's all good and most of the time, I can keep the woman in the basement 
(the funny way I refer to the out-of-control me). 

I am treated for anxiety as well and medication has become a stronghold. 

I could feel the tears well up from within and spill out and down my cheeks.
In my spirit, I could hear the question, 
"What do you turn to instead of Me?
What do you turn to when you are anxious and afraid?"

I said in my spirit and aloud in a whisper, 
"medication."

I reasoned with the voices inside, 
"I'm not an addict.  I only take what I have been prescribed.  I don't abuse it!"

But I felt God say, "It's time to trust me."

I never gave God a chance to show me that I could trust Him 
to calm my fear and anxiety.  
I ran to the medicine cabinet instead. 

This is how my journey began. 

I've been sugar-free for 21 days, and 
I've been doing Sugar-Fast for 13 days. 

I'm down 13 pounds since Christmas and 8 pounds
since Sugar-Fast. 

No anxiety meds. 
The one pill that I said I could never do without!
(I'm not stupid. I know only if God heals me can I stop the meds that balance my brain. BD is no joke.  Yes, God can heal.  How he does it, is up to HIM.)
My memory is improving.
My head is clearing.

My goal is to be whole-
spiritually, emotionally, physically.

Losing weight is the added benefit.

I'm gonna take you through my days.  
I hope you'll journey along with me.
I need the accountability.  













Comments

  1. You know I will pray for you. I need to be doing this right along side you. :) Hope your family is doing well. Blessings to you and yours, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs, hugs, hugs dear friend! I've been so disgusted with myself and my lack of control recently with what I know to be best for me. I will walk along with you although I might not do it the same as you are. Hopefully that's ok....Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bonnie...first of all, I'm so glad to see you posting again. Second, congratulations on your weight loss but mostly that you are feeling better by this lifestyle change and I can sense this through your post. I will be looking forward to following your progress and cheering you on in your new journey...I have missed reading your blog! This looks like an excellent book too! Oh, I just wish I could give you a big hug right now....love you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spring into Spring

Anyone else ready to Spring Forward?  Oh my goodness! Just enough nip in the air to feel like an early Spring day. The trees around Georgia are beginning to bud. I've missed my babies so much the past couple of weeks but this afternoon  I feel a little lighter.  It will be Easter weekend before I get to Nashville but I found this sweet little idea to make with the kids. We can go on a scavenger hunt and each Grand can create their own unique design.  I've not done much in my booth for Spring. I had a yard sale and this is how the carport still looks. I may have made $40. Ugh. It was cloudy day so, oh well. I'll price it all and put it in the booth this weekend.  The littles are doing ok. Our youngest GRAND girl, Claire has to wear a patch for a weak eye.  I think she's gonna be fine. She certainly daddy's girl.  She was excited about going to his office.  Our oldest GRAND girl, Cora, made the All-star team in basketball. She's a natural.  She loves to FaceTime! 

Growing, Going, Gone

Do you ever consider how fast your children grew up? At the time, it seemed that the sleepless nights would last forever and the terrible twos would stay terrible forever, the pre- teens awkwardness and the teenage defiance would never end. And then they turn 16, you give them the keys and they speed off into the world...gone.   I expected that, somewhat, and I even learned to release my children as they grew. What I didn't expect was for the grandkids to go so fast.  2014 our miracle baby arrives. Our Christmas gift from above.  We enjoy the other two for our last Christmas in GA before moving to Tennessee.  2015 we enjoy our first Christmas after moving to Nashville in May.  2016 and we enjoy our first Christmas in our new house.  2017 the last Christmas the three will be the littles.  2018 new babies. 2019 the year before Covid and the last Christmas in our new home.  2020 the Covid Christmas gathering almost didn't happen. The kids considered not getting together. We were g

God Said Move

In The Summer of last year, I began to feel a restlessness in my spirit. I sensed that things were about to change.  One night in October, I had closed my eyes and was not asleep when I saw in my spirit a sign in the front yard. It was a red, white and blue sign like a Remax Realty sign. I heard the word, "Move." I knew it was the Holy Spirit speaking to me.  David had been unhappy living in the big city. He spent most of his time on the highways and interstates around Middle TN. He traveled anywhere from 375-500 miles a day. He talked of moving back home, and I always resisted. So, I said, "Okay, Lord. I'm not sure what this means. If it's means we will actually move, I'm willing. If it means, you're moving me spiritually, I'm ready.  The very next day, David said, "I need you to pray about something." I knew what he was going to say and I told him about my dream. He had a job offer. The market was a seller's market. Within a few weeks,