Skip to main content

Finding Home


Home is:
1.       A dwelling place, a place to live, a building, a region, a place we call “home.”
2.       Human connections, the relationships of those with whom we do life together.

It was God’s intent and purpose from the beginning to dwell among man, to fellowship with him, to walk with him in the cool of the day.

Genesis 2:15
“The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.”

This was to be his home, his dwelling place.

It took me 55 years to leave home.  Most of you know my story.  I was a preacher man’s daughter.  I was born, raised, grew up in the same place.  The kids grew up in the same town.  We lived in a place where we knew almost everybody.  If we didn’t know them, we knew of them and could call them by name.

The kids grew up.  The grand babies came. David’s job was not secure.  Plants were closing in an industry that he had worked 35 years in.  My parents were gone and we decided it was time to move where we could be near the grand babies. 

The first 6 months were great!  I felt like I was on vacation-Condo, swimming pool, an outlet mall a few miles away, a marketplace 15 miles away, babies and ice cream anytime I wanted them, no job, no commitment, total freedom.

We got tired of a stampede of wild horses above our heads, two dogs playing tag or Frisbee or something.  A spirit of discontentment grew within me. And God gave us a house.  I never dreamed of having a new home.  As I said before, my little 1000 sq. ft home was all I ever thought I’d have.  Our new home was wonderful…but it wasn’t home.  I mean, I had all my milk glass and ironstone out, the walls looked practically the same, my pink room was now gray, but held the same décor as before, but it wasn’t home.

So, I tried to go home, but home wasn’t home because there was no home to go home to. We had sold the home place.  My sister’s house was too small for all of us.  Who wants to spend Christmas in a motel room?

God began to speak to me about home, the temporary dwelling and the heart, His home.

God has always desired to dwell among His people. 
“Then have them make a sanctuary for me, and I will dwell among them. “ Exodus 25:8
He did.  You know the story of the pillow of cloud by day and the pillow of fire by night.  Can you just imagine that??? 

David decided he wanted to build a house for the Art of the Covenant.  God was dwelling in a tent and he wanted Him to have a home.  As if God could be confined to a building. 
“Here I am, living in a house of cedar, while the ark of the covenant of the Lord is under a tent.”
God said for Nathan to tell David,” You are not the one to build me a house to dwell in.  I have not dwelt in a house from the day I brought you out of Egypt.”  (1 Chronicles 17:5)

“Lord, you have been our dwelling place, throughout all generations.” Psalm 90:1

So what does it mean to find our dwelling place in Christ, to make our hearts, his home?

John 15 tells us to remain in Him.  “You are already clean.  Now remain in me.  Abide in me.  Dwell in me.  Stay connected to me. Crawl up here on the sofa with me.  Grab the Good Book and let’s spend some time together.”

I'm going to begin to try to write my story, Finding Home. I hope you'll journey along with me. 


You are always welcome here. 



Comments

  1. I love this Bonnie...so glad to see you writing again. It reminds me so much of that beautiful worship song by Watermark...
    Come and make my heart Your home
    Come and be everything I am and all I know
    Search me through and through 'till my heart becomes a home for You

    A home for You, Lord
    A home for You, Lord
    Let everything I do open up
    A door for You to come through
    And that my heart would be a place where You want to be
    Come and make my heart Your home
    Come and be everything I am and all I know
    Search me through and through 'till my heart becomes a home for You

    You are my portion, filling up everything
    You are the fortune that's causing my heart to sing
    That it's amazing, that You could make Yourself at home with me
    Come and make my heart
    Come and make it Your home
    Come and be everything I am and all I know
    Search me through and through 'till my heart becomes a home for You

    And you know I will follow along with you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found your way back here. Blogger is so strange sometimes, isn't it? I hope you have a great week and welcome back. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sweet Lady!
    I am also happy to see you here.
    Have a cozy evening. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good.....so good to read your writings, your thoughts, your wisdom! I'm looking forward to more from you, my friend. So good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spring into Spring

Anyone else ready to Spring Forward?  Oh my goodness! Just enough nip in the air to feel like an early Spring day. The trees around Georgia are beginning to bud. I've missed my babies so much the past couple of weeks but this afternoon  I feel a little lighter.  It will be Easter weekend before I get to Nashville but I found this sweet little idea to make with the kids. We can go on a scavenger hunt and each Grand can create their own unique design.  I've not done much in my booth for Spring. I had a yard sale and this is how the carport still looks. I may have made $40. Ugh. It was cloudy day so, oh well. I'll price it all and put it in the booth this weekend.  The littles are doing ok. Our youngest GRAND girl, Claire has to wear a patch for a weak eye.  I think she's gonna be fine. She certainly daddy's girl.  She was excited about going to his office.  Our oldest GRAND girl, Cora, made the All-star team in basketball. She's a natural.  She loves to FaceTime! 

Growing, Going, Gone

Do you ever consider how fast your children grew up? At the time, it seemed that the sleepless nights would last forever and the terrible twos would stay terrible forever, the pre- teens awkwardness and the teenage defiance would never end. And then they turn 16, you give them the keys and they speed off into the world...gone.   I expected that, somewhat, and I even learned to release my children as they grew. What I didn't expect was for the grandkids to go so fast.  2014 our miracle baby arrives. Our Christmas gift from above.  We enjoy the other two for our last Christmas in GA before moving to Tennessee.  2015 we enjoy our first Christmas after moving to Nashville in May.  2016 and we enjoy our first Christmas in our new house.  2017 the last Christmas the three will be the littles.  2018 new babies. 2019 the year before Covid and the last Christmas in our new home.  2020 the Covid Christmas gathering almost didn't happen. The kids considered not getting together. We were g

God Said Move

In The Summer of last year, I began to feel a restlessness in my spirit. I sensed that things were about to change.  One night in October, I had closed my eyes and was not asleep when I saw in my spirit a sign in the front yard. It was a red, white and blue sign like a Remax Realty sign. I heard the word, "Move." I knew it was the Holy Spirit speaking to me.  David had been unhappy living in the big city. He spent most of his time on the highways and interstates around Middle TN. He traveled anywhere from 375-500 miles a day. He talked of moving back home, and I always resisted. So, I said, "Okay, Lord. I'm not sure what this means. If it's means we will actually move, I'm willing. If it means, you're moving me spiritually, I'm ready.  The very next day, David said, "I need you to pray about something." I knew what he was going to say and I told him about my dream. He had a job offer. The market was a seller's market. Within a few weeks,