Skip to main content

Look for the Flowers

 
Right now, I have about 10 books on my kitchen table. 
 
I've been so overwhelmed with feelings of darkness and despair that I've
failed to see that there is a purpose in this season.
 
 It is in finding I AM that I am able to find who I am.
 
While I am learning from HIM, I am continuing to consider the home.
There's more that I will share in the days ahead, but today's
message is simple. 
 
I'm scanning the book by Jen Scmidt, Just Open the Door.
At the end of each chapter, she give practical suggestions,
Tidbits to Elevate the Ordinary.
 
These were some of my favorites.
 (I may or may not have shared a post like this before.  It feels like I have.)
Create a friendly and inviting front door area. 
Maybe even paint the front door. 
Put a new Spring wreath on the door. 
You've seen mine before.  It says you're welcome.



Personalize a message to your guests on a chalkboard.
 
 
This is a simple one. 
 I have Scripture on one of my chalkboards--if you can see it.
 
 
Stimulate the senses. 
 
Smell. 
Add fresh cut flowers--or weeds.  There's a story behind this. 
I'll share at the end if you hang on long enough. 
If not, enjoy the weeds, but you'll miss the flowers.
 
Granny always had pork chops cooking on Fridays. 
The smell of pork chops frying in lard grease takes me back to a dirt road in the country
 with Granny in her home-made apron
standing on the screen porch with the door open awaiting our arrival.
 
Taste
At mama's house there was always something to eat. 
Sunday nights there were grilled burgers, sometimes
banana pudding, sometimes carrot cake, german chocolate cake or
my favorite pound cake. 
The kids who we enjoyed later remember chocolate kisses and Vienna sausage.
 
The girls played "Mommy" and "Bruce, Bonnie and Dale."
Both girls wanted to be "Dale." There was always Grandaddy and the pond
 for fishing and ducks to feed with Nanny.
 
Touch/Sound
Lay your hand on those precious babies
and pray blessings over them.
Speak life into them.
What is your tone?
Remember Moms, we are the thermostats of our homes,
 and we set the temperature for our families. 
 
Make your home a safe place for kids to hang out. 
Create a shelf of snacks that are open to the neighborhood kids. 
But set boundaries!  They can't drink out of the water jug. 
Maybe the water hose, but not the water jug.
 
 Our family of six had a neighborhood of 15-20 kids. 
The kids came from across the cotton patch, across the yard,
down the road and even across the 4-lane (that was our interstate) 
for backyard baseball, riding bicycles to town to get penny-candy,
 hide and seek, and war.
It was a safe place.
 
 
 As the little ones turned into teenagers,  it became a place for heart to heart conversations,
instruction and counseling, and Bible study for those same children. 
My mama and daddy's home was the gospel come to life.
 
Jen says,  
You don't start the open-door legacy with an HGTV design home or Spic and Span.
No need to search Pinterest for a gourmet meal. 
A bag of chips and a jar of salsa left out on the counter and lemonade for the kids will do. 
 
A pot of coffee and a store-bought cookie is what you'll probably get at my house. 
Then again, I may go to Publix and get a slice or two of carrot cake.
 
 

I opened the sliding door this morning to breathe in the fresh air. 
Thankfully the wind wasn't blowing the aroma of the dog food plant in my direction.
 
I had been dreaming of our annual vacation spot to Hilton Head
 that hasn't happened since our move to Nashville.
I was taken back with the aroma of Confederate Jasmine which lined our little villa.

 
I went closer to observe the back of our lot.  (I don't do outside unless there is water.  I don't like to sweat and the only time I get to the back of the lot is on July 4 when we are shooting fireworks.)
 

  
To my pleasant surprise, I wasn't imagining the aroma.
I found wild jasmine and honeysuckle.
Oh, the smell delighted me!  A real gift from God this morning.
I wanted to get a good photo.  (It didn't happen! I should know
I'm not a photographer!  Please!)
 
Picture the scene. I was bringing the senses inside. 
I stood up in the chair to get a photo, hit my head on the light fixture,
the glass shattered, I fell out of the chair. 
Thank God the frig was there to break my fall.
 
 
 
 
 
 I'm glad I didn't look and just see weeds.
I noticed the flowers.
I'm glad I didn't let the brokenness keep
me from seeing the beauty. 
 
Look for the flowers.
See the beauty, not the brokenness.
 
This makes me smile,
 
Bonnie
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Comments

  1. Awe...Such a thought provoking post.
    Oh I can just smell the scent of the Jasmine and honeysuckle, how wonderful.

    WOW, you could have really hurt yourself with that fall.
    God was certainly looking after you.

    Bless you~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, glad you are ok! I love honeysuckle. Haven't smelled any in a long time......we had some covering an old outhouse (turned into a potting shed ☺) at one of the houses we rented a very long time ago.
    Keep the posts coming! Love reading your words, so inspiring, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spring into Spring

Anyone else ready to Spring Forward?  Oh my goodness! Just enough nip in the air to feel like an early Spring day. The trees around Georgia are beginning to bud. I've missed my babies so much the past couple of weeks but this afternoon  I feel a little lighter.  It will be Easter weekend before I get to Nashville but I found this sweet little idea to make with the kids. We can go on a scavenger hunt and each Grand can create their own unique design.  I've not done much in my booth for Spring. I had a yard sale and this is how the carport still looks. I may have made $40. Ugh. It was cloudy day so, oh well. I'll price it all and put it in the booth this weekend.  The littles are doing ok. Our youngest GRAND girl, Claire has to wear a patch for a weak eye.  I think she's gonna be fine. She certainly daddy's girl.  She was excited about going to his office.  Our oldest GRAND girl, Cora, made the All-star team in basketball. She's a natural.  She loves to FaceTime! 

Growing, Going, Gone

Do you ever consider how fast your children grew up? At the time, it seemed that the sleepless nights would last forever and the terrible twos would stay terrible forever, the pre- teens awkwardness and the teenage defiance would never end. And then they turn 16, you give them the keys and they speed off into the world...gone.   I expected that, somewhat, and I even learned to release my children as they grew. What I didn't expect was for the grandkids to go so fast.  2014 our miracle baby arrives. Our Christmas gift from above.  We enjoy the other two for our last Christmas in GA before moving to Tennessee.  2015 we enjoy our first Christmas after moving to Nashville in May.  2016 and we enjoy our first Christmas in our new house.  2017 the last Christmas the three will be the littles.  2018 new babies. 2019 the year before Covid and the last Christmas in our new home.  2020 the Covid Christmas gathering almost didn't happen. The kids considered not getting together. We were g

God Said Move

In The Summer of last year, I began to feel a restlessness in my spirit. I sensed that things were about to change.  One night in October, I had closed my eyes and was not asleep when I saw in my spirit a sign in the front yard. It was a red, white and blue sign like a Remax Realty sign. I heard the word, "Move." I knew it was the Holy Spirit speaking to me.  David had been unhappy living in the big city. He spent most of his time on the highways and interstates around Middle TN. He traveled anywhere from 375-500 miles a day. He talked of moving back home, and I always resisted. So, I said, "Okay, Lord. I'm not sure what this means. If it's means we will actually move, I'm willing. If it means, you're moving me spiritually, I'm ready.  The very next day, David said, "I need you to pray about something." I knew what he was going to say and I told him about my dream. He had a job offer. The market was a seller's market. Within a few weeks,